Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Babies R Us. Really for us?





Babies R Us is one of my favorite retail stores. I have two small children and have spent hours and hours browsing their products and taking advantage of the tips and tools they have for moms.

Recently I visited the store to buy a present for a baby shower. I went in unprepared and didn’t know what items my friend had asked for. They provide a nice consultation space with a trained employee who can help you make an online wish list and beside it there is a kiosk to browse the lists.

I looked her name up and the computer asked me if I wanted to print. Well… I don’t. I want to see the options and choose what I want to buy. Well… too bad because you cannot see it until you press the print button.

I’m not one of those crazy environmentalists that think about nature and the future of the planet all the time, but this bothered me. A lot. Why couldn’t I just look at the list and choose a few items in my budget to look for in the shelf? I could even print only one or even half a page.

I ended up printing 11 pages, taking a 40 seconds look at it and tossed it in a trashcan. Mind you… the good kind of paper, not recycled.

Companies should embrace digital solutions. Why not if there is a digital way? It is cheaper, more efficient and provides new solutions for customers.

It is especially important for companies like Babies R Us that are careful in the selection of products for the safety and well being of their customers with BPA Free plastics, safety products and organic fabrics and food.

Technology can help us set a good example of how to take care of our world for the younger generations. There are many online tools that could be used in this case, like a tablet in store that people can access the lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment